Wednesday, March 13, 2013

I'm baaaaack

I just cannot seem to keep up with everything I need to do.  And remembering to post to my blog seems to take back seat.  My apologies to my followers.  I have been somewhat productive on making felties, but not as much as I would like.  I do think I am developing my own style and am happy about that.  Let me show you what I have made recently and you can decide.

This first one is a sweet little bunny.  His head is jointed.  I am so happy with his face, something I have always had a problem with.
This next one, a grey tabby is one of my favorite cats I have done.  Again, I am very happy with the face.

I love the smug smile on my rainbow kitty.  He looks so happy and serene.  This was a lot of fun to do with all the bright colors.

This little guy was done for a friend's son's birthday.  He is eight and loved his little cat.


This guy is my pride and joy.  I worked really hard on him.  The first try did not look too good.  I spent a couple weeks adding and redoing areas like the face.  He is 12" long and 12" tall at the tip of his tail.  I am thrilled with the outcome.
It really does take a lot of work to shape wool with a barbed needle so that you end up with a sculpture.  Why do it when sculpting with clay would be easier.  The challenge.  To take something like wool, something you would never imagine making a sculpture out of, and to shape it with a needle that you stab into the wool over and over to create a cat, dog, doll or anything you want to me is amazing.   I love watching the wool take shape, adding muscles and features and creating something cute or very realistic.  I have seen felted animals that are so realistic that if I hadn't been told it was a picture of a feltie, I would have thought it was the real deal.
It takes lots of patience, creativity, time and the love of the process to needle felt.  It is not for everyone, but everyone can enjoy the results.

You can check out the above critters at my Etsy shop:
www.sacredcat.etsy.com




2 comments: